Billionaires’ pledge

I have been excited by something that I found out about recently. Apparently, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are going to be giving a major portion of their wealth away. Not only are they doing this, but they’re bringing a few of their peers with them.

Their goal is to convince every billionaire in the country to pledge at least 50% of their loot to charity. George Lucas, Barry Diller, Ted Turner and Michael Bloomberg are some of the people who are on board with them. To date, 38 others have joined them. You can find a current list of them here

Buffet has pledged 99% of his treasure. Figuring the remaining 1% would satisfy him and his family, he had this to say about his gift;

Measured by dollars, this commitment is large. In a comparative sense, though, many individuals give more to others every day… The dollars these people drop into a collection plate or give to United Way mean forgone movies, dinners out, or other personal pleasures. In contrast, my family and I will give up nothing we need or want by fulfilling this 99% pledge… Too often, a vast collection of possessions ends up possessing its owner. The asset I most value, aside from health, is interesting, diverse, and long-standing friends

Personally, I am challenged by such generosity as well as encouraged. Challenged in the sense that he is doing so much and encouraged by the fact that people like him are in tune with suffering around the world. Bill Gates insists that when the richest people in the world know just how the poor live, they’d be willing to help. “If we were aware, we would want to help out, we’d want to get involved.”

Should these men succeed, they’d raise just about 600 billion dollars. Imagine the possibilities…..

Advertisements

2 Comments to “Billionaires’ pledge”

  1. I read about this too and was floored. Now let’s hope these donations get put to use in a way that most maximizes its possibility

  2. “Giving is recognized as a virtue in every major religion and in every civilized society, and it clearly benefits both giver and receiver.”
    -His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: